Saturday, July 4, 2015

Work Readiness Skills

Describe TWO EXAMPLES of how you used the Work Readiness Skills in your internship in a positive way, or in a way that supported success.  Describe the situation and what you learned.  Describe 1-2 examples of how your Work Readiness Skill weakness/area of growth held you back, or caused you to have to work harder.

My internship will begin next Tuesday, so here are predictions of how some of my qualities will influence my job performance: 

Positives 

I plan to communicate effectively throughout my time with EarthScope Media. Writing skills are crucial to the internship, as the organization specializes in environmental journalism. Verbal expression is also important––from what I've heard, EarthScope will have me conduct an interview on the radio. I feel I have the required writing skills for the internship, as I have had ample training by writing for my school newspaper, but I will need to improve my verbal abilities to become confident in the interview. The internship should bring me up to par with this.

My dedication will also benefit me in my internship. I rarely miss schoolwork, and I complete my assignments to the best of my ability. I'm confident that my commitment to school will transfer to dedication to my EarthScope duties.

Negatives 

I'm worried that I will need to develop more professionalism to be ready for my internship. I've struggled with promptness my entire life. As a kid, I always found some way to make myself late to school: hitting the snooze button on my alarm to sleep in, wasting ten minutes trying to assemble the perfect outfit, hiding under the bed covers, etc. Though I've been more punctual as I've gained maturity, I'm still worried I'll disrespect my superiors by showing up late. Also, though EarthScope seems like a fairly casual setting, I may want to dress more professionally. 

Another skill I need to improve for my time with EarthScope is collaboration. Throughout my time in school, I've struggled with including others in group projects. I often do all the work myself. In my internship, I hope to turn over a new leaf and try to ensure that everyone on my team is involved in our project.


6 comments:

  1. I really like how you brought outside examples from your life at school to prove your point in some of your examples. I struggle with similar things with you especially in group projects, but our internships should help us gain more collaboration skills. I also find it really cool that you got to conduct an interview on the radio because that is very difficult and takes a lot of quick thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To help with being on-time, possibly decide your outfit the night before and plan to arrive at the workplace 5-10 minutes early. And I totally feel for the collaboration part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think working on the collaboration part makes total sense. I struggle with that too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think working on the collaboration part makes total sense. I struggle with that too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very detailed and finite post, has some interesting parts that I can relate with, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think if your number one trait is communication you are going to do really well for your internship! I totally agree about doing all the work on group projects, but I don't think you will have to worry about that. It seems like we have a pretty good group of kids who will be able to help each other out.

    ReplyDelete