Monday, July 6, 2015

Blog #2

WORK AND READINESS SKILLS

POSITIVES
An example of using one of the Work Readiness Skills in a positive way that supported my success was finishing a major part of one of my projects. This shows the work readiness skill of dedication. I was given a spreadsheet to fill out with 581 columns. I was given this project at the beginning of my internship and it requires a lot of research to fill out. Out if the 581 columns, I have 380 done. When I get to my internship, I sit down at my desk and work for three hours on the spreadsheet. I am allowed to listen to music which has helped me focus. I have been very dedicated to this project and within no time, I will be done and ready to start a new one. I learned how to do my work well without taking a lot of time up.

Another example of me using a Work Readiness skill was when I had to change my hours. My family was taking a vacation and there was no way for me to get to my internship. So, I used communication to fix the problem. I emailed my boss and worked out days when I could make up hours. I did this efficiently, and effectively. From this, I learned how to fix a new problem.



NEGATIVES

An example of a Work Readiness Skill Weakness that held me back this week was my ability to improve. When I was working on my project, I had a few questions but I didn't ask them because I was embarrassed and didn't want to irritate my boss. I had already asked quite a few of them but I thought I might have been distracting my boss from his own work. I also didn't want to ask because it was very quiet in the office, except for the sound of keyboards, and I felt awkward being the only one speaking. Trying to figure it all out on my own made it harder for me and slowed me down. But once I figured it out, I learned more and was more able to retain the information. I guess that was a silver lining of the situation even though I didn't get much done.

Another Work Readiness skill that I need to work on is professionalism. I am always struggling to figure out what to wear to my internship. The employees are vary in how they dress: some are in sweatpants and baggy T-shirts and others are in slacks and nice blouses. What I have done for the last few weeks is just wearing things that are sort of dressy but could also be casual. I make sure that I don't wear any tank tops and that my skirts aren't shorter than mid-thigh and so far it has been working out. Even still, I am just a little worried because I haven't been given specific do's and don'ts.


1 comment:

  1. Being able to sit and focus for three hours on any project is amazing! Keep up the good work! And don't be afraid to ask questions, it's always easier for you in the end.

    ReplyDelete