Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Blog #2

Work & Readiness Skills

Positives:

Working well with others was a good trait to have for my internship. Our first meeting was all about introductions to the other students and the program itself, so being able to get everyone's opinions and voices on why they are interested in science or journalism was important in seeing what topics each of us might choose to work on and how we can help one another. Communication is a crucial trait to have, as each of us will be checking up on one another and finding professionals to interview in the real world.

For the first meeting of my internship, maintaining a level of professionalism was also important. I showed up early, and was able to talk with another member of my internship, as well as have an early introduction with the program director. I made sure I did not dress too casually, and felt comfortable enough to engage in discussions and ask questions respectfully in regards to certain topics my internship leader brought up that peeked my interest.

Negatives:

I may have been too eager to voice my opinions and therefore made it more difficult for the other students to voice theirs, as I tend to be quite open about my thoughts. So that might mean I should focus on being more tolerant and respectful by trying to include others in the conversation by asking for their opinions if they have not yet spoken on a subject, or not immediately dismissing someone's argument if I disagree with their position.

2 comments:

  1. These are very thoughtful, and I definitely agree with you about how working well with others is a positive trait. It helped me with my internship as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete